Friday, December 28, 2007



What was I thinking? First, I painted over old hardwood floors (GASP!). I know, I know...it was shameless. But here is why. 17 yrs ago, when we bought the house, we wanted a whitewashed finish on the floors. We vacated the premises for a week and let the refinisher guy do his thing. Well, he was new to the business, and you get what you pay for. We came home to dark cherry stained floors. He said they were too damaged to whitewash. I was disappointed, but they did look nice, and what were we gonna do? That was 3 kids ago. Fast forward through 3 toddlers, tonkas, 2 cats, airsoft b-b's, and a host of other hard knocks and we have floors in desperate need o refinishing again. Ugh. I talked to two fellas this summer, each with a different process, and both said I needed to get the paint off the floor before they would work on it because it would gum up their equipment. So that's what I am working on. This product goes on thick and is supposed to work miracles. For the price it should. It does not. It covers roughly half the area the can says it should, and dries out too fast. Then the amount of scraping required is unreal! I have been all day scraping and have only cleared about 30 sq ft of 144! I will never EVER paint a wood floor again, nor will I ever EVER try to strip one myself! What a nuisance! The second photo above isn't very clear, but shows how the floor bubbles up while the process is working.

My girl was in the newspaper yesterday with her interpreter, although they said she was in 2nd grade instead of 3rd- she was very quick to point out to me. It was a wonderful photo of her and an article about her interpreter. http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071227/COLUMNISTS01/712270319/1022/COLUMNISTS

2 comments:

JenLo said...

Oh, my word! I know Karen from the kids' school. Eric goes to school with her son, Landon! Too funny.

Lori said...

What a great article Laurie... Claire must have been excited despite the fact that they messed up her grade! What a mess that floor must be.. I don't envy you that! Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day... it was great to hear from you!